cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 - WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 - Packets Dropped at ASIC Level

stovall.c
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to determine the reason for slow server backups on servers connected to a WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 module which has 6 groups of eight ports which share 1Gb bandwidth with associated ASICs & buffers. Don't see excessive pauses or dropped packets however reviewed Document:

Troubleshooting Switch Port and Interface Problems; Document ID: 12027

The document has the following statement:

If the frames received on any group exceeds the bandwidth of 1 Gbps, the device starts to drop the frames.

These drops are not obvious as they are dropped at the internal ASIC rather than the actual interfaces. This

can lead to slow throughput of packets across the device.

So the packet drops at the ASIC level are not obvious and I assume from the document that those drops will not appear on the interface counters.

I checked 'show platform hardware interface all' and did not see those counters

I'm looking for a command which will display the counter of the packets dropped at the ASIC level.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Charles,

I've worked on a similar issue today but I can see the dropped frames as output drops on one port of the group.

so no hidden drops in my case and actually the limit of 1Gbps out a group of 8 ports seems confirmed.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco