cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500x "Hardware Ready" for SDN?

jaschluc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have seen that the 4500x is SDN "hardware ready" on several of the 4500x data sheets and am trying to figure out exactly what this means? Does the 4500x have Service Containers Embedded into the HW itself allowing onePK onboard? Thx.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if the SDN capabilities exist in the 4500x series.  I know that SDN is coming in Nexus 6004X series.

HTH

Cisco doesn't do SDN, well at least not in terms of pure SDN at least. I was hoping someone would corroborate my comments about KVM/ LXC service containers built into the hardware of the 4500x supporting "SDN", or rather whether its possible to have onePK reside in the service container. 

There is a similar description on the web site stating that the 6500 & 6800 switches are 100Gbps ,"ready". However the actual 100Gbps SFPs are not yet available.

What I think the term ,"ready", means therefore is that when the feature actually becomes available - such as SDN in the case of the 4500x - then you won't have to upgrade your hardware in order to use it.

This implies that you won't be able to use SDN on the Sup 6E on the 4500x since it is not SDN ready.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

I would like to see someone use a 6E on a 4500x. Let me know when that happens :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card