cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500x VSS software upgrade (copy tftp:)

Josh Morris
Level 3
Level 3

I am getting ready to upgrade a VSS pair of 4500x's. These are in the lab so i want to really figure out the process. I read in the configuration guide that you have to copy the new image to the bootflash of both units individually.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15.1.2/XE_340/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1406922

So I have gotten into the standby unit's console by entering "remote login module 11". When i try to issue the copy command I get the following. This is all with me only hitting ENTER after the initial command. The rest flies by so quickly I don't have time to enter any values.

Dist-standby-console#copy tftp: bootflash:

Address or name of remote host []?

?Host name or address not specified

%Error parsing filename (Unknown error 0)

So I thought that by entering the entire string manually, I could able to get the file copied.

copy tftp://192.168.1.1/cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.01.SG.151-2.SG1.bin bootflash: cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.01.SG.151-2.SG1.bin

But that didn't work either. So how do I get the new image on the STANDBY switch?

EDIT: I found out how to do it. You have to initiate the copy from the ACTIVE switch...

Dist#copy bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.01.SG.151-2.SG1.bin slavebootflash:

Destination filename [cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.01.SG.151-2.SG1.bin]?

Copy in progress...CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure why you are trying to load the image by consoling to the stand-by switch.  You need to do it by login to the primary switch and use the same command that you use to load the OS into the primary flash but instead of flash you use "slavebootflash" to load the IOS in to the stand-by flash.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure why you are trying to load the image by consoling to the stand-by switch.  You need to do it by login to the primary switch and use the same command that you use to load the OS into the primary flash but instead of flash you use "slavebootflash" to load the IOS in to the stand-by flash.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card