Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 forced speed and duplex not working

htaljaard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a problem on a Catalyst 4506 with the tri-speed blade. The port is forced to 100MB and FD, with the host forced as well, but the port stays down (not connected). When I change both the CAT and host to autonegotiate, port comes up. When I move the cable to a port on the 7600 next to it (same config - forced), the port comes up immediately.

When I plug my laptop into the same cable into the port on the 4500 (also forced), the port comes up. Why would the CAT behave differently to different hosts? SW version is 12.2.25 EWA6.

Thanks

Henk

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Henk,

I had the same issues with a new 4948 switch.

The trunks between switches never used to come up if hardcoded but with autonegotiate it worked absolutely fine.

Most of the time this problem is faced only on 10/100/1000 ports

Narayan

farid-sardar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Henk these issues are usually due to a bug in the code. In my experience Cisco switches have compatibility issue with certain NIC cards. Try upgrading your NIC drivers and also see if you can upgrade the IOS on the switch.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My guess is that blade supports auto-mdix and mdix only works when in auto mode . Try and see if you can turn off auto-mdix on the blade . I did not look to see if your blade specifically supports thats but that is what it sounds like . Think it like "no mdix auto" or something like that on the port .

Hi Glen

i also thought of the same thing but the command doesn't seem to be supported on my blade although i am able to use straight cables to connect between switches

Narayan

If you are using straight thru it must support it otherwise you would need a crossover cable . What module is it ? On the switchport try this , To disable auto-MDIX, use the "no mdix auto" interface configuration command. There is other info here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080731453.html#wp1071805

Also try this command to see if it is on .

Switch# show interfaces type slot/interface

Displays the interface auto-MDIX configuration setting and operational state.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card