Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 subinterfaces

vpersaud001
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I'm trying to create a subinterface on the WS-C4507R+E (IOS 15.0(2)SG2, Sup 6L-E 10GE) but keep getting invalid input.

switch(config)#int g5/11
switch(config-if)#no switchport
switch(config-if)#int g5/11.20
                                    ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

switch(config)#

Is this feature not supported on this switch or is it the IOS? IOS is cat4500e-entservicesk9-mz.150-2.SG2. I can configure other routing such as EIGRP without any problems. Is there any workaround? I need to create sub-interfaces for VRF lite.

Thanks for any help.

VP

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

On most calayst switching platforms, you cannot create sub-interfaces. Instead replace the sub-interface with interface vlans (SVIs). The physical interface can be a trunk link carrying all the desired vlans.

HTH

PD

View solution in original post

Diego Acuna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunatelly, no sub interfaces can be created on catalyst switches

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I'm doing this on a 3550 using SVI's that are bound to different VRFs. The physical interface is trunked as per usual (switchport mode trunk). Traffic then hits the SVIs for the next hop.

7 Replies 7

vpersaud001
Level 3
Level 3

ps... I also tried with port-channel subinterfaces and same result.

Thanks.

Hello,

On most calayst switching platforms, you cannot create sub-interfaces. Instead replace the sub-interface with interface vlans (SVIs). The physical interface can be a trunk link carrying all the desired vlans.

HTH

PD

Diego Acuna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunatelly, no sub interfaces can be created on catalyst switches

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maybe you can explain what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just trying to trunk a link you do not use subinterfaces on a Catalyst switch . Do a search on the main cisco page on how to create a trunk  for the 4500 series.

I'm not trying to create a trunk. Since the 6500 series supports subinterfaces I expected the same on the 4500 series for L3. I'm trying to create subinterfaces for VRF lite routing multiple VLANs over one physical interface.

Thanks.

VP

I'm doing this on a 3550 using SVI's that are bound to different VRFs. The physical interface is trunked as per usual (switchport mode trunk). Traffic then hits the SVIs for the next hop.

I was trying to avoid L3 over L2 but looks like this is the only option available.

Thanks for the responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card