Views
Helpful
Replies

4507E+R Routing?

tohoken
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We recently added a 4507E+R switch to our infrastructure.  Before this we used fixed switches at our access layer.  I am having a problem with getting the 4507 "pingable" via our management vlan.  I have the 4507 trunked back to our 5548 layer 3 core switches.  The trunk comes up and VTP sends the VLAN information to the 4507.  I configured our mangement vlan on the 4507 with a ip address and mask, just like I always do but I cannot ping the switch, nor can the switch ping out.  I then configured one of the physical interfaces with an ip address and mask associated with our management vlan subnet and connected it to a physical port on a 3560 we have in the wire closet.  I placed the 3560 interface in the correct vlan.  I can ping the switch via this interface, but cannot ping the vlan interface.  Not sure what I might be doing wrong.  We are allowing all VLANs across the trunk.  We are using redundant Sup7e and have two of the 10G interfaces from each Supervisor in a single Etherchannel going back to our 5548 switches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

2 Replies 2

I think it would be better if you can supply the configs of the switches?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does the 4500 have routing turned on ?  If no then you must have a ip  default-gateway"  command on it pointing to the routing interface of your management vlan . If you have ip routing turned on then instead of a default gateway command you must add a default static route pointing to routing interface of your management vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card