Views
Helpful
Replies

4507R SSO help required

hannyong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a 4507R with 2 SupII+10GE modules for redundancy. 1 uplink trunk is connected to the 1st module, and another connected to the 2nd module. According to the docs, STP is preserved between Sup-engines, in SSO mode. However, when I pull out the 1st sup-engine to simulate a failed sup-engine, from the console of the 2nd sup-engine, I can see that spanning-tree is in learning mode. Is there any specific configuration I'm missing out to preserve the STP state?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

When you have 2 Sup2+'s in your 4k, the first uplink port on each is active. There is no concept of active/standby ports here, so you're depending on spanning-tree to provide redundancy. When you remove the 1st SUP, we lose our STP root, which forces the other link to go through the STP states.

It is up to you to make this process quicker at L2. If both uplinks connect to the same switch, you can put them both in an etherchannel so there will be no loss when a SUP/link is pulled. If both uplinks go to different switches, you want to either look at RSTP or Flexlink for faster convergence.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco