Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4510 Switchport Access

Hello, 

I have a 4510E iand a 3750 with 4 stacked switches in a lab environment . On the 4510, I have g1/48 configured as switch mode access port and  switch access vlan 182. On the 3750, I have port Fa1/17 configured the same way. I rebooted the 4510 and then port g1/48 was disabled and port fa1/17 went into errdisable mode. The strange thing is that before I rebooted the 4510, the uplink between the two switches was working just fine.  I have recently update the IOS on the 4510 and that was before I rebooted it. 

Any thoughts as to why this issue is happening?? Why do the ports go into errdisable when they are uplinked while configured as switchport access? 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you want to configure them

If you want to configure them as L3 ports, then they won't be access ports. Access ports are L2.

You'll probably need to issue the command 'no switchport' on the interfaces before assigning an IP address to them.

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Port went into error-disabled

Port went into error-disabled possibly caused by BPDU Guard enabled globally?

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Like Leo, my first guess would be BPDU Guard.  Do you have an internal syslog configured?  If so, did you check it for any messages about the port?

Correct. The BPDU Guard is

Correct. The BPDU Guard is enabled; however, a former eng. setup the ports that way and I was planning on changing those 2 ports to Trunk ports rather than access ports. Changing the ports to trunk ports is pretty straight forward!

The one thing that I would like to get clarification on is, if configuring the ports as L3 ports, do I need to configure them as access ports? The answer to me should be "NO" but I want to make sure that my understanding was correct. 

Thanks so much for your assistance!!! 

Best, ~zK 

If you want to configure them

If you want to configure them as L3 ports, then they won't be access ports. Access ports are L2.

You'll probably need to issue the command 'no switchport' on the interfaces before assigning an IP address to them.

Thank you for the prompt

Thank you for the prompt answer! 

Much appreciated. 

~zK 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content