Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4900M Configuration

We have 10 switches in the datacenter but only have 5 connections back to our 6509 core switches running as a VSS pair.  We purchased a couple of 4900M to bring 10G to the datacenter and provide dual uplink on every switch back to the core.  I will have dual 10G links on each 4900 back to the 6509 and plan on using a 1G link on each 4900 to each switch.  Right now the 6509 does all the VLAN routing. 

My question is in the best practice configuration of the 4900.  Do I configure this as just a layer 2 switch with every port set as a trunking port?  Or should I be moving any layer 3 routing to this switch? 

I'm thinking of using it just as a layer 2, but want to make sure I'm doing this right before putting in in production.

Thanks

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: 4900M Configuration

jeffreydorn wrote:

We have 10 switches in the datacenter but only have 5 connections back to our 6509 core switches running as a VSS pair.  We purchased a couple of 4900M to bring 10G to the datacenter and provide dual uplink on every switch back to the core.  I will have dual 10G links on each 4900 back to the 6509 and plan on using a 1G link on each 4900 to each switch.  Right now the 6509 does all the VLAN routing. 

My question is in the best practice configuration of the 4900.  Do I configure this as just a layer 2 switch with every port set as a trunking port?  Or should I be moving any layer 3 routing to this switch? 

I'm thinking of using it just as a layer 2, but want to make sure I'm doing this right before putting in in production.

Thanks

Jeffrey

There are quite a few discussions in the forum on this ie. L2 vs L3 access-layer. Different people have different views. I have implemented both routed access-layers and  L2  access-layers, the routed in a campus environment.

Personally i think routed works well in a campus environment but for a data centre i would still use L2. The reasons are primarily -

1) more flexibility in server placement ie. if you use routed access-layer then if you need to move a switch to another vlan then you may well need to physically move the server depending on your patching

2) just as importantly some services that you want to use in a data centre such as firewalling / load-balancing can be used in either routed or transparent mode. If you deploy a L3 routed access-layer you automatically rule out some deployment options with these services.

Obviously L3 negates the spanning-tree issue but if you are running VSS anyway that should not be an issue for you.

I would still look to deploy L2 in the data centre at the access-layer because it simply gives you more options.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies