cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948 Layer 3 Switch Routing

dustin.coil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I have a cisco c4948 switch using the 12.2(50)SG software. I am wondering how to set up the routing between two VLANs in the CLI.

Thanks, Dustin

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure "ip routing".

Ok so when I'm in the CLI i start with

switch# configure terminal

switch(config)# ip routing

and from her i can hit enter or go into protocol -> purge -> interface and then hit enter.

I don't see how to route two vlans.

(config)#ip routing [enter]

the switch will record the different subnets in its routing table (recorded via SVI or via subinterface IP)

Ok, then this must not be what I was looking for becuase I want to be able to ping from a computer on one vlan to another computer on a different vlan. Is this possible?

If you have IP addresses on your VLANs - then the switch (router at this point) will route the directly connected subnets. However, you need to make sure you have the "ip routing" command entered.

But, you MUST have IP addresses assigned to the VLAN interfaces for it to route between them.

As an example:

conf t

go into enable mode

vlan 2 , enter

vlan 3 , enter

exit

interface vlan 2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

interface vlan 3

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

Ok, I may not be thinking of this correctly. For example I have two VLAN's with there own ip addresses (192.168.20.3 and 192.168.76.3), and all the other ports are assigned to use a gateway(192.168.124.1). I am still unable to ping from a computer on one VLAN to a computer on the other VLAN. However, I am able to ping from a computer on a 192.168.124.1 port to a computer on a VLAN and vice versa. I need to be able to ping through the computer that is not on a vlan to another computer across the internet. I can ping from this computer to the other one across the internet, but not from the computer on vlan->not on vlan->across internet. Is there somehow to set up the routing so I can achieve this?

Thanks!

I think I may have gotten a little farther... I can ping the destination server from the computer that is connected to the internet, and now I can ping the same server from the switch itself. I just need to find a way that all of the vlan's can also see this "gateway". Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card