cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5509 Errors

mike.walter
Level 1
Level 1

We have (2) Cisco 5509s with dual SUPIIIG. They are linked via GBIC modules in port 1/1 and port 2/1. The dual links are setup in trunk mode, full duplex, speed 1000. We have been getting a lot of FCS Errors and RCV-Errors on one of the GBICs. Over the weekend the GBIC in question caused the entire network to go down because it appeared to be flipping and we received many MLS-4-MOVEOVERFLOW:Too many moves, stop MLS for 5 sec errors. We already replaced the GBIC once and thought the problem was solved. I checked the traffic on the switch before the outage and there was only 20Mbits of traffic crossing the links. What else should I look for to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

"%MLS-4-MOVEOVERFLOW:Too many moves, stop MLS for 5 sec" syslog messages indicate that the switch relearns one or more MAC addresses on multiple ports in rapid succession. For example, on an access switch with two uplinks to the core of the network, the switch may learn a given MAC address first on one uplink and then on the other very rapidly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_tech_note09186a0080143d13.shtml#subtopic1i

Thanks for the response. I have read the article, I am trying to narrow down the source of the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card