Views
Helpful
Replies

5548UP Image recommendation

jasonsalomons
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Have my hands on some new 5548UPs and looking for an stable image. It has 5.2.1.N1.6 as default, and it looks like we are up to version 7 code now.

Can anyone advise on reliability of newer code?

I did read the Minimum Recommended Code here but the document is around 1 year old:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/recommended_releases/recommended_nx-os_releases.html

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Jason,

I don't say this from experience of NX-OS release 7.0, but unless you need feature or platform support that this release provides I wouldn't use it. The release has only been out a month or so, and given the number of new features that have gone into it, there's plenty of opportunity for regression bugs to creep in.

The NX-OS 5.2 release you have is pretty good, and it's also a long lived maintenance release so it will have support from Cisco for some time yet. The only thing I'd say is that if you're going to stay on NX-OS 5.2, then consider an upgrade to the latest release of it i.e., 5.2(1)N1(7).

We've been using 5.2(1)N1(7) across a number of switches supporting FabricPath, vPC, vPC+, FEX etc., and so far haven't seen any issues with it. We moved to this release a while back as we got hit by CSCty86291 MTS buffer exhaustion with sequential add of large vlans that's in all releases . This was seen a couple of times when pasting VLAN configuration, a change that you would consider low risk.

Regards

jasonsalomons
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks very much for the reply. I agree, it seems there are far too many bugs released these days as updates are pushed out far too often. Does anyone have any experience with version 6 code?

I put a couple of 5548s in using NX-OS 6.0(2)N2(2). They've been running fine for the past 4 months supporting about 500 devices as core switches in a mid-size office building. 

I initially used the 6.0(2)N1(1) they shipped with but was hit by bug CSCug46504. It prevented wireless APs from getting addresses (and the DNS server necessary for them to register with the WLC) assigned via DHCP

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For being datacenter switches they seem to be an awful lot of bugs in the code versions for these .  At this point you would think they would be more stable  as they have been out for some years now.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card