cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 boot question

littledavewhite
Level 1
Level 1

what is the difference between sup-bootflash: and sup-bootdisk: ? on a sup-720.

7 Replies 7

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It refers to the same thing.

Thanks

Mahmood

hi

does the sup720 have onboard flash? or does it use the compact flash card?

no sure i presume just flash sup 720 purchased as default card with no external flash or memory upgrade, its just i have 4 systems some of them refer to supbootdisk and some sup-bootflash, i understand the external disk but a little confused by the other two options so you think it might be compact flash as apposed to normal flash ?

can anyone please confirm what the following are?

sup bootflash

sup bootdisk

disk:0

disk:1

and where is the default boot ?

cheers

Carl

can anyone clarify this ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_17277.html

Originally, the Sup720 used a DIMM-based flash memory stick for sup-bootflash.

These were capped at about 64MB, I think.

Once Compact Flash started to get cheap, cisco swapped the Flash dimm out with an adapter that took a CF card. This CF adapter is referred to as sup-bootdisk.

A box that has a sup-bootdisk can refer to that same CF card via sup-bootflash.

I don't think a box with bootflash has the ROM necessary to know about the sup-bootdisk, so there's no real forwards compatibility.

disk0: and disk1: are the physical CF slots located on the front of the supervisor.

soare you saying that they do not have ay internal memory, the flash/nvram is all on the cf card ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card