Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 dram upgrade

Level 1
Level 1

Is any kind of firmware upgrade required when upgrading the 2 dram chips that are at the front part of the sup7203B. I am taking out the 2 that are in there now and installing 2 1g chips. I know that a firmware upgrade is required when upgrading the sup-bootflash: but how about the msfc3 dram?

32 Replies 32

Hi there,

I hope that everything is going fine with you, no i haven't used WAAS before, but here you are Cisco's documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6474/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6870/index.html

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Would you happen to have any info or sites that point to some good diagnostic commands for line cards. I am trying to check out some line cards that users gave said are bad and I am trying to run every conceivable test on them.

Hi,

I hope that everything is going fine with you, here you are a nice link on how to configure the online diagnostics on the Catalyst 6500 series switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008017c10f.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks that site helped. A couple of bad sup-720's were dumped on me to fix and I am having a problem with one. When I turn on the switch rows of hex numbers start scrolling on the screen nonstop. I can't stop it. The following message comes up:TRACEBACK, TBL(load or instruction fetch) exception signal=10, CPU=0x0. I think maybe the boot parameter values need to be reset or changed. Any ideas. How can I stop the scrolling and maybe get to rommon.

Hi there,

I hope you are fine, complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence to enter the rommon:

1.Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

2.Power cycle (switch off and then on) the switch and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

3.Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

HTH, please do rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hello Friend,

This one may stretch your knowledge or maybe not. I once say a technician do a command on a 6500 where he just generate tons of junk traffic form one site to another. they were testing speed and throughput. From what I can remember there was a command(maybe a hidden one) where you could send or generate allot of traffic across a line. any ideas

Hello,

How are you, i hope everything is going perfect with you :), i think that you are talking about the TCP and UDP small servers, please check the below link:

Generates a stream of ASCII data. Use the telnet x.x.x.x chargen

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1818/products_tech_note09186a008019d97a.shtml

HTH, please rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I actually did remember the command as being chargen but I am trying to get a good example of how to use it. If I am on switch a and I want to generate a stream of ASCii data to switch b. I would first do service tcp-small-servers. but what next. does the service tcp-small-servers have to be set up on both switch a and b, then do i telnet from a to b. someone here mentioned that I have to telnet to port 19. very confusing.

The chargen is not a big issue. I am playing around with it as a testing tool and also TTCP. My bigger issue is that I am unable to telnet into a switch. It has a very minimal config on it. here it the VTY info

line vty 0 4

password 7 cccecdttdyxx0

transport preferred telnet

line 5 15

password 7 xxx0099xx5

transport preferred telnet

When I try to telnet into this switch I keep getting password required but none setup.

Hi,

I am really glade that your are becoming a Cisco expert yourself :)

To solve your problem "Password required, but none set ", please make sure that "login" command is present under the line vty plus the "password" command.

line vty 0 4

password

login

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I have tried that. but this switch is a 3550 and it won't let me do that. when I try login I get 2 choices

authentication

I can't just put login by itself. maybe an ios thing. i may have to upgrade.

Hi,

Is AAA configured for this switch, check for "aaa new-model" command in the configuration.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hello my friend

i have several IOS images in sup-bootflash. is there a way to change the order or the get the switch to boot off a specific one without having to delete the other 2 older images.

Hi,

Been a long time, i hope that everything is going fine.

You can use the boot statement, like this "boot system flash:", and add the IOSs in the order that you want the switch to try using sequntial boot statements, putting the new IOS first, and the other old as failovers, they i are processed in the order you configured them, if one fail the next is used.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Friend,

I am off on something new and hoping you can help.

1. would you happen to know if the newest IOS for the 3800 router(adventerprise) can do ipx when setting up a dialer-list. When I do (dialer-list 2 protocol xxx)I don't see ipx to choose from.

2.Do you have any info on configuring lines on a 3800 router. I have 2 async cards in it. They are the 2 port cards whith one that says 0-7 and the other 8-15. In the IOS you will see something like 1/0 1/15 and 2/0 2/15.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco