Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Supervisor 720 software question

comms
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

First time i've posted a question here so forgive me if it's a stupid one..

I'm costing up some 6506E chassis' for my company's new network design. And I'm running into some issues that has to do with the understanding the different types of IOS that Cisco offer. There's ADV Enterprse services and IP Services and IP services SSH LAN only and Enterprise services and Modular this and that etc...

Can one of you very helpful people please advise me here?

The requirements are:

The 4 x 6506-E's will be the core for my organisation. They will ideally be meshed using EIGRP (if possible) and connected to each other using 10Gigabit links. QoS will be run on them (only classification, not marking). At this stage there will not be anything like HSRP/VRRP or GLBP in place. There will be 2 x the 8 port 10Gig blades in the chassis (with redundant 720's).

Is there a nice stable IOS that will run with the above requirements happily?

Many thanks.

Brad McGinn

2 Replies 2

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brad,

The base 'IP' package will support both EIGRP and QoS classification.

The other packages are for extra features you may need, such as MPLS etc.

As for a personal reccomendation, I would go for 12.2SXB or 12.2SXD. I have used both of these in large scale production environments without any problems.

Im not sure if you have access or not, but Cisco also have a Software Advisor which can be accessed at http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do

From this advisor you can then search for software for your platform with the specific features you require.

Hope this helps.

Nik

Thanks Nik,

I'll give that a go!

Brad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card