cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Supervisor Cards

keanej
Level 3
Level 3

I need to remove a supervisor card in a 6506 switch. Its a hot spare (not Active) - WS-SUP720-3B - I require it on another site.

Anyone attempted this while the unit was powered up (hot remove) - is it possible ?

Also I notice a command -

module clear config

I am curious to know how this works. It claims to clear the config when the sup card is removed - but if the unit is powered down - how does it know it has been removed.

Any help appreciated

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can remove the module by using the levers and this can be done without powering down the chassis.  Just make sure there are no uplinks to the line card before removal.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can remove the module by using the levers and this can be done without powering down the chassis.  Just make sure there are no uplinks to the line card before removal.

I would prefer to shutdown the module prior to removal -

However the commands

#hw-module module X shutdown - doesnt work for me - I dont have a shutdown option

also the

#no power enable module X  - doesnt work for supcards (%Error: no power control on supervisor cards)

Do I need to upgrade my software to enable this feature -

running on  s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXI2a.bin

Any ideas ???

You don't need to make it very complicated.

Just make sure the supervisor card you are trying to remove is not the on-line one.

Loosen the s_crews and use the eject levers and pull out the card.  It is that simple.

I've replaced alot of supervisor cards and I've never seen so much complication. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card