Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 switch IDSM license

Haris P
Level 4
Level 4

Dear All ,

I have one Cisco 6509 switch and there is no support contract for this switch and I want to enable firewall service and IDSM-2 on this

Im planning to purchase Firewall services module 3.2 and 600M IDSM-2 Module

Now regarding the license .

What else I need to purchase to keep my IDS signature updated ? whether i need to purchase smartnet contract ?  Is there is any special license needed for FSM module or base license is enough ? Whether I need to buy any special license for 6500 for enabling FSM and IDSM module in 6500 ?

I appreciate your help regarding this questions . Useful comments will be rated

Regards

Haris P

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chatwithharis wrote:

Dear All ,

I have one Cisco 6509 switch and there is no support contract for this switch and I want to enable firewall service and IDSM-2 on this

Im planning to purchase Firewall services module 3.2 and 600M IDSM-2 Module

Now regarding the license .

What else I need to purchase to keep my IDS signature updated ? whether i need to purchase smartnet contract ?  Is there is any special license needed for FSM module or base license is enough ? Whether I need to buy any special license for 6500 for enabling FSM and IDSM module in 6500 ?

I appreciate your help regarding this questions . Useful comments will be rated

Regards

Haris P

Haris

1) You do not need any additional license for the 6500 to run the FWSM/IDSM modules

2) You do need a license for the ISDM or else you cannot add signatures when they are released by Cisco

3) The FWSM comes with 3 contexts, one admin and 2 other contexts which you are free to use as you wish. If you don't want/need any more than this then you do need an additional license for more contexts. So in this case the base license would be enough. If you need more than 2 contexts which are simply virtual firewalls you will need to purchase an additional license.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card