cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 switch series upgrade via console port

jose_gomez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6506E switch with CatOS version 6.3.1 and I am trying to upgrade the CatOS in order to enable both a 10-port GBIC Module and a 48-port 10/100/1000 module that require a 8.4.1 version, but since there is no ethernet connection available, I am doing it thru the supervisor console port. The problem is that I am getting an error in my terminal emulator (hyperterminal) shortly after the file transfer begins.

The exact error is "failed limit exceeded".

Any idea why this is happening or Is there another way of doing the upgrade?

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jose,

Do you have a flash card? Or is it possible to make an ethernet connectivity via gig modules on supervisor engine itself?

If anyone of the above mentioned options are not available can you specify if you are on the console promot which protocol you are choosing on your hyperterminal to transfer the file?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I do have a flash card but I dont know if that matters since I only have the console port available and since it is a new card, there is no software in it, I confirmed that with the dir slot0 command. I am also trying to set up a connection thru the gbic interface, but in case I dont succeed with neither, I want to have the console option just in case.

I am using windows hyperterminal and the xmodem option.

Regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

AFAIK Xmodem and Ymodem file transfers are performed from the ROM monitor.

Have a look at this link and see if this helps you with something

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_5_4/config/images.htm#wp25985

HTH

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card