Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS upgrade

pfillips11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been going through various documents on Cisco to find a procedure to upgrade Cisco 6500 VSS using ISSU. But unfortunately the information available in the documents is little different and thats why I am confused.

Assuming that Switch 1 is active and Switch 2 is standby, Do I need to use the following command

issu loadversion 1/5 sup-bootdisk:xyz.bin 2/5 slavesup-bootdisk:xyz.bin

or just

issu loadversion 2/5 slavesup-bootdisk:xyz.bin

I understand next command will be

issu runversion 2/5 slavesup-bootdisk:xyz

And after accepting the version on 2/5, the last command will be

issue commitversion 1/5 slavesup-bootdisk:xyz

Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You issue the loadversion command to start the upgrade process on the stand-by switch.

Here is the upgrade procedure:

Load the New Image to the VSS Standby Chassis

Enter the issu loadversioncommand to start the upgrade process. In this step, the VSS standby chassis reboots, reloads with the new image, and initializes as the VSS standby chassis in SSO redundancy mode, running the new image. This step is complete when the chassis configuration is synchronized, as indicated by the "Bulk sync succeeded" message.

Router# issu loadversion disk0:s72033-newversion.v2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1133416

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You issue the loadversion command to start the upgrade process on the stand-by switch.

Here is the upgrade procedure:

Load the New Image to the VSS Standby Chassis

Enter the issu loadversioncommand to start the upgrade process. In this step, the VSS standby chassis reboots, reloads with the new image, and initializes as the VSS standby chassis in SSO redundancy mode, running the new image. This step is complete when the chassis configuration is synchronized, as indicated by the "Bulk sync succeeded" message.

Router# issu loadversion disk0:s72033-newversion.v2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1133416

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza, this clears it. With VSS I do not need to mention switch/slot number. Also I believe install image is not required as I am not going for modular image its and upgrade from 12.2 (33) SXI2 to 12.2(33) SXI4a.

If no error appears then following three commands should get it done, given that I have new image in both sup-bootdisk and slave-sup-bootdisk

issu loadversion slavesup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a.bin

issu runversion

issu commitversion

That should do it.  One more thing, it is good idea that you are not deploying modular version of the IOS.  According to the 6500 business unit, they are going away from the modular code completely by the end of next year.  If I remember correctly the next version for 6500 is going to be SXJ and there is not going to be a modular code to download.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card