cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 / 6513 config for VOIP ?

dclee
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently upgrading our I3 call center solution to IP.

The network assesment that was performed at out site suggested we would be fine to run autoqos.

We are a single site

1 6509 in production SUP2's running catos and IOS

9 floors in building, each floor is a vlan back to the 6509 via fiber uplinks to 6408a module

3560's POE 10/100/1000 on each floor for distribution.

Total we would have 100 ip phones spread across 5 of those floors. I wanted to go with one voice vlan,

trunked across the 6509 and 3560's.

I have a few questions..

Does CatOS support the autoqos function ?

Do the 6408A cards support QOS or do I need to upgrade them ?

3560 IOS is C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, I believe this should work fine for QOS correct ?

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

dclee@cmpa.org

We are currently upgrading our I3 call center solution to IP.

The network assesment that was performed at out site suggested we would be fine to run autoqos.

We are a single site

1 6509 in production SUP2's running catos and IOS

9 floors in building, each floor is a vlan back to the 6509 via fiber uplinks to 6408a module

3560's POE 10/100/1000 on each floor for distribution.

Total we would have 100 ip phones spread across 5 of those floors. I wanted to go with one voice vlan,

trunked across the 6509 and 3560's.

I have a few questions..

Does CatOS support the autoqos function ?

Do the 6408A cards support QOS or do I need to upgrade them ?

3560 IOS is C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, I believe this should work fine for QOS correct ?

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Yes CatOS supports autoqos

Yes the 6408A supports QOS although all modules do, it's just a question of the capabilities. The key thing is that there is a priority queue on this module both ingress and egress

Yes the 3560 with IP Base will support QOS.

One question. Is there a major advantage to running the same voice vlan across all the floors. I only ask as this does expose all floors to a broadcast/STP issue.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I do understand your concern about 1 voice vlan for all floors..At this point the design is up for discussion.

From a design perspective, currently each floor is on its own data vlan, trunked back to the 6509 and routed from there.

Is it recommended that each floor should have its own voice vlan as well ?

I guess I would also have to enable QOS on each virtual router interface per vlan segment as well ?

Cheers

Dave

dclee@cmpa.org

Thanks Jon, I do understand your concern about 1 voice vlan for all floors..At this point the design is up for discussion.

From a design perspective, currently each floor is on its own data vlan, trunked back to the 6509 and routed from there.

Is it recommended that each floor should have its own voice vlan as well ?

I guess I would also have to enable QOS on each virtual router interface per vlan segment as well ?

Cheers

Dave

Dave

If you have one data vlan per floor then it makes sense and a more logical design to have one voice vlan per floor. Limit the vlans across the trunk uplinks from each floor to just the relevant 2 vlans per floor and maybe a switch management vlan if you have one.

You would enable QOS primarily on the trunk link ie. mark them on the access-layer switches, prioritise them on the uplinks and then trust and prioritise on the core switches.

Jon

Hey Jon, thanks again for the input...just so I am clear...

I would need to configure QOS on the following ....

- Access port of the phone

- Uplink (trunk) on the 3560 switch

- Uplink (trunk) on the 6408A port

- Layer 3 interface for voice vlan ?

- Layer 3 interface of server vlan where the IP server is located ?

Cheers

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card