cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Amber "System Light"

desmond.s
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2) Sup 32 configured in a 6509 chasis. I have 1 power supply plugged into the wall and 1 power supply that is not plugged into anything but it is in the chasis and has green light to show that it has been recognized.

My problem is the "system light" on both sup32 remains amber and does not turn green. I have done sho modules and sh diagnostics and sh power and everything checks out ok.

Also there is an amber light on "active" on the 2nd Sup32 which I am assuming means that it is in standby mode so that would be correct.

Q: My question is could it be the power supply that is not plugged into anything causing the "system light" to stay amber and not turn green?

Q: Will this amber system light on the Sup32 stop the 6509 from running as normal?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue with out 6500 VSS config where one 6500 was on a higher power draw than the other (one was plugged into 110 power and the other into 208 power) and it showed an amber system light.  I think you're correct about the power supply since it sees a module is attached but not drawing power - as far as the chassis knows it's a bad power supply.

As for running normal, it should have not affect on the operation, but keep in mind you are running with a single point of failure until you get power to that power supply.

I thought that too but the Cisco Technician thinks it is a hardware issue. I will change the Sup modules out since he is sending me 2 new ones but I think this issue will still exist as long as the power cable to the power supply is not plugged in to anything. I am also waiting for Nema L6-20 power cables to prove this theory correct so I can plug them in and the system light turns to green.

Ryan thanks for your help with this matter!

No problem Desmond, I hope it all works out for you!

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Desmond,

This is because of the two power supplies that you have, one of which is powered off. I remember having run into one such issue, where this was the exact reason. Pull out the redundant power supply and that would solve the problem of the LED being amber.

thanks

Pronoy

I had the same problem,but after I removed the redundant power supply the system led became green!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card