cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 and STP debugging

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing anything when debugging STP? I don't see anything when I turn the terminal on either. Could this be a bug? I'm at 12.2(33)SXI5.

Console logging: level debugging, 57243 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Monitor logging: level debugging, 361 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Buffer logging:  level debugging, 57142 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Persistent logging: disabled

No active filter modules.

ESM: 0 messages dropped

Trap logging: level debugging, 56965 message lines logged

Logging to 10.125.100.225  (udp port 514, audit disabled,

link up),

56677 message lines logged,

0 message lines rate-limited,

0 message lines dropped-by-MD,

xml disabled, sequence number disabled

filtering disabled

Log Buffer (8192 bytes):

Jan 29 09:39:03: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet2/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:42:16: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:42:26: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:42:46: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:43:06: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:43:26: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:43:36: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:43:46: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Jan 29 09:43:56: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port GigabitEthernet3/48 dropped packets due to storm control

Core-6509#sh debug

Spanning Tree:

Spanning Tree general debugging is on

Spanning Tree BPDU Transmitted debugging is on

Spanning Tree BPDU Received debugging is on

Spanning Tree event debugging is on

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Additional information is that we have 2 sups in the chassis. The 1st floor uses 5/1 and the 2nd floor uses 6/1. The sups are configued in SSO, so module 6 is in standby. The 5/1 port shows bpdus being sent and the switch on the other end shows bpdus being received (Dell switch on other end), whereas 6/1 shows bpdus being sent but none received on the other end (Dell switch). Does STP run normally over a standby SUP?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Even though the Sup in slot 6 is in standby, its interfaces are still operational.  You can verify this with "show int status mod 6"

Next verify the STP role and status of the interface with "show spanning-tree int 6/1".  You can add "active detail" at the end of that command to check the BDPU counters, but sounds like you already did that.

Is the Dell switch acting as STP root?  If so, it would not bother to receive BPDUs. 

I vaguely remember trying to debug STP BPDUs a couple years ago and having the same problem.  Hmmm...

Oh yeah - have you looked in to the storm control message from Gi2/48 and 3/48?  It may indicate an STP loop, which would drive up the CPU and perhaps interfere with the debugging messages showing up.  Just a thought.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card