Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E nbar configuration

silverfoxx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guy's

I was trying to configure the nbar on our 6509 swtich but when I tried it on the interface gigabitethernet 1/4 , it prompt me with this message

" NBAR 'protocol-discovery' command cannot be turned on this interface because of the following reason:
Interface is a LAN port and NBAR/STILE is not supported on LAN interfaces in PFC3"

can anyone please help me as what is the issue and solution.

8 Replies 8

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Guy's

I was trying to configure the nbar on our 6509 swtich but when I tried it on the interface gigabitethernet 1/4 , it prompt me with this message

" NBAR 'protocol-discovery' command cannot be turned on this interface because of the following reason:
Interface is a LAN port and NBAR/STILE is not supported on LAN interfaces in PFC3"

can anyone please help me as what is the issue and solution.

Hi,

The ip nbar protocol-discovery command is used to enable Protocol Discovery on an interface. With Cisco IOS Release 12.2(18)ZYA, intended for use on the Cisco 6500 series switch that is equipped with a Supervisor 32/PISA, the ip nbar protocol-discovery command is supported on both Layer 2 and Layer 3 Etherchannels.

Check out the below link for more information:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/nbar_protocl_discvry.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Hi

I have gone through the link but I cannot find the main reason except  that the IOS version difference, my switch has IOS "Version 12.2(33)SXH"

Hi

I have gone through the link but I cannot find the main reason except that the IOS version difference, my switch has IOS "Version 12.2(33)SXH"

Command and feature sets depends on the ios version only and the supported hardware which can run the image also,If you have gone through the link it says that particular ios along with harware details supports ip protcol discovery command.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What supervisor are you running. If it isn't a Sup32 PISA be aware that NBAR will have a big performance hit on your 6500 because it is not done in hardware.

Although the commands are there for NBAR it is not recommended to run it on a system with Sup720, you would be much better off to look into running Netflow.

Jon

Hi Jon,

my supervisor is SUP720.

silverfoxx wrote:

Hi Jon,

my supervisor is SUP720.

Then i strongly recommend you look at Netflow rather than NBAR. NBAR is heavy on device resources and it is not optimised for the 6500 with a sup720.

Jon

thanks jon

esomarriba
Level 5
Level 5

Why do you want to use nbar on a Cisco 6509? Are you using this network device for your DIST or ACC

layer?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card