Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 IOS Backup Issue?

dilipratna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to back up the IOS image for our core 6509 switch using my workstation which is running the tftp server application. The issue I am having is that the image copies fine until it gets to the 32Mb mark and then begins to time out? When it starts to time out I look at the file size it has created so far in my backup directory and it has blown it up to 4Gb??? It keeps on incrementing it until you stop the process. Could this be due to a corrupt image? Or some form of corruption. The tftp server is by solarwinds and I have used it to back up other IOS on our network. Also the 6509 has been operational close to 2 years now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mark.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

tftp has a file size limit of 32mb. Can you try FTP?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

mark.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

tftp has a file size limit of 32mb. Can you try FTP?

Mark,

Tried the ftp method and it worked very well, thanks to all the suport guys who suggested other methods.

I used a freeware FTP server software called Golden FTP which is available at the following link: -

http://www.goldenftpserver.com/

Its basic but it does the job and runs on XP and other operating systems. Once again thanks to all for their assistance.

Mayank Nauni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Dilip,

You can use this hyperlink to download, PUMPKIN ( A TFTP Server Application). It allows transfer of files over 32MB.

The download hyperlink is

http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/binaries/

Has been tested by me.

Thanking You

Regards,

Mayank Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

Mayank,

I tried Pumpkin before I tried the SolarWinds TFTP server and I had the same issue with Pumpkin.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Dilip,

Please use TFTPD32, a Cisco recommended Tftp server. You can download it from here:

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

I have used for my files more than 50 MB.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

You were my last hope mate, I downloaded v.3.03 and all looked good until the 32Mb mark, where again it proceeded to time-out. Below is the message I received at the console: -

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

TFTP: error code 0 received - Undefined error code

%Error writing tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17a.SX4.bin (Undefined error).....

I am trying to back up the IOS across the LAN, what methods do you recommend?

In addition to the other replys, what I have done is to plug a laptop into the 6509 directly and tried backing up the config using TFTPD32 and I still get the same issue. I then proceeded to plug the laptop into the UTP port on the 720 Supervisor module and still had the same issue??? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hi Friend,

Have you tried doing FTP?

Ankur

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dilip,

Most of the Cisco IOS do give the option of using TFTP/FTP and HTTP.

Hence if one protocol behaves in a funny way, you can safely go ahead with the second one.

Infact, I would mostly use the FTP to upload / download IOS images whenever possible.

All the MS OS come with a default HTTP and FTP Servers, so I presume that you shouldnt have any issues with this.

Please do let us know if you require help regarding installation / configuration of MS-FTP or MS-HTTP Server and we shall be glad to take you step by step.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Wilson,

I have not tried FTP yet, just wanted to exhaust all the other possibilities, looks like I'll head down the FTP path and try that, do you have config paper on how to setup MS-FTP and also what syntax do you use at the console to back up an image, tried several to a UNIX FTP server with no success.

amschultz
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience tftp doesn't work wel for large IOS images. Usually the transfer will time out after successfully transfering a large amount of data. I'd recommend trying ftp to transfer the file instead. That has worked for me in the past. Hope this helps.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Try 3COM's 3CDaemon (VERSION 2.0+ - I think 2.10 is "current")the early versions have the same limitation.

I use it to push 37Meg images all the time. I could never get Pumpkin or SolarWinds to push the really large files.

It's also an FTP server ande Syslog server. However, *** NOTE *** 3CDaemon has some serious security risks, do NOT leave it up. Use it, then shut it down (unless it is operating in a very secure system).

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card