cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Logging Buffer Size Recommendation ??

wpalumbo06
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a safe, general purpose logging buffer size for a 6509?  There seems to be a lot of discussions around this topic but I haven't found anything 'official' regarding a best practice for this.  I would like to use 128000 and don't really see any issues with that but I am just curious if anyone has knowledge of any Cisco approved configuration.  I do realize that this number is dependent upon the switch configuration, so I am just looking for some general guidelines at this point.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

Depends a great deal on what you're logging and what freqency messages occur, but I've always felt 128K or 256K were good, reasonable numbers. 

I posted a blog article about it here - http://wrerase.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the feedback and that blog is very helpful.  I would agree that logging is often overlooked until it is needed during an outage  I am trying to standardize my logging confogurations and 128k (131072 bytes) looks like a good place to start...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

128k or 256k is OK.

You also may want to try using a logging server. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Consider "best practice" whatever size you need as long as it doesn't take so much RAM it's adverse to normal device operation.  (Default values are from when device RAM used to be counted in K.)

In current generation devices, I find 64KB usually meets both objectives, but 128KB is likely to be fine too.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card