cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Mem Upgrade Part Question / WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE

jmocniak
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out what memory modules I'd need to purchase to upgrade the memory in our supervisor engine and msfc2 to 512mb. The sup engine currently has 256.

The part numbers we have are

WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE

WS-F6K-MSFC2

From what I can tell if we want to upgrade them both to 512mb we'd need to buy MEM-MSFC2-512MB and MEM-S2-512MB.

Does this sound correct? The documentation on cisco's site has been confusing at best with regards to this. Our sup engine came with 256mb onboard so I can't really figure out if I'd need to buy another 256mb module or if I'd need to buy the 512mb module.

Thanks for any help

2 Replies 2

sgelli
Level 4
Level 4

The Memory part numbers are correct. The Sup2 seems to just have one DRAM slot, so you will need one DIMM with 512MB capacity.

Below is a URL that shows the picture of a Sup2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_12667.html

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

Trying to get the memory upgraded before the parts go EoS I see ;-) I'm doing this exact upgrade this weekend (128MB to 512MB actually). The memory specs for the code you want to run are the min. for sup *and* msfc. You can run 512 in the msfc and 256 in the sup if you have lotsa routes.

I actually ordered MEM-MSFC2-512MB-OEM and MEM-SUP2-512MB-OEM and saved a little bit of money (over the non-OEM part) since I'm upgrading 2 sups. I also elected to upgrade to 512/512 just in case memory reqs go up in the next code rev.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card