Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 STP issue

Zikosenpay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have two 6509 in VSS with STP configured.

from each 6509 there is a link to service provider but to different office(equipment) of provider. one link is designated forwarding, another link is designated blocking. when i shut down the first interface, then second interface becomes designated forwarding, but when active 6509 is powered off then second interface doesn't become forwarding, it is stil stays in blocking mode. second 6509 became active also, but only link to provider not became forwarding.

is this normal?

4 Replies 4

You should use the STP features like :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094641.shtml

So not to wait all the seconds you need otherwise. If you share the topology or some info more about your links termination maybe be i can help more

Alessio

Hi Alessio,

what kind of information do you need? the topology is like this. interfaces are trunk ports with RSTP configured

on ISP side alcatel equipment used

if you need additional information please ask

Wouldnt you want to use a flavor of FHRP and track yor interfaces for this? 

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

I have no experience with VSS configurations, but I wonder why there is a blocking link in the first place. Is your root bridge on the provider side of the network? Are you sure your provider is using RSTP as well? If not, it could in fact take the tripple forward delay timer until your remaining link transforms into forwarding mode.

Away from your question it is probably a good idea to switch to a layer3 connection in this case.

Regards

Pille

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco