Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 SUP II Boot Issue

wpalumbo06
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently converted two SUP II modules from CATOS to IOS and all was well for the week after I converted them.  I shut the switch down for three weeks and then attempted to use it recently and only one of the SUP II modules will boot.  The problematic SUP follows the same pattern on every attempt to boot the switch.  The switch will report a bad magic number 4 times and then successfully load the IOS and boot the SP.  When the boot process is handed off to the RP, the switch drops into ROMMON.  From here I can type confreg 0x2102 and then reset and the switch successfully reloads (most times).  The switch also displays a message stating that the NVRAM is corrupted.  I have read that a dead NVRAM battery can cause issues as this battery maintains a 4MB NVRAM that contains the files necessary to boot the switch.  So here's the question - is this battery the likely cause of this issue?  The battery is soldered to the board and although I can replace it, I would rather not attempt to do so if it's not the root cause of the problem.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I think after coverting to IOS you didnt formatted the flash and copied the IOS image on the flash.

Try formatting the flash from IOS and again copy the IOS image on the flash and test.

Thanks

Hello,

The IOS is actually located on the PCMCIA card (disk0:) as it is too large for the sup-bootflash.  Which flash are you saying needs to be formatted?

Hi,

You need to format all the flash devices and reload the IOS.

Thanks

Hello,

That seemed to help but then I got the following message after a few reboots:

Warning: Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted.   Initialize the area to default values.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card