cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Supervisor Upgrade

kcopping
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 6509 Core switches, Core1 has 2 Sup1 modules running HSRP, Core2 has 1 Sup2 module not doing any routing. I have another Sup2 module that I want to install in Core1 and remove both Sup1 modules. I still want to run HSRP between the Sup2 cards. Also I have a 2 GIG portchannel connecting the 2 core switches. What is the best procees to do this for minimum downtime.

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

My Idea for this will go like this:

1. Put the second sup card in the core 2 6509 chassis and this will go in standby mode.

2. Configure the HSRP on the active sup running on core2 and have the HSRP running between core1 and Core2 and let core1 will be the active switch/router.

3. Enable config sync on SUp2' running on core2 chassis.

4. Config will get sync between both the active and standby sup's on 6509 core2.

5. After that's done, take a proper downtime and shutdown the core1 so that the traffic failover to 6509 Core2 as this will become the active router.

6. Once Core2 6509 is active and running fine take the standby sup2 out and put this sup in Core1 chassis.

7. Configure the Sup2 in the core1 chassis with the default HSRP priorities or higher HSRP priorities depending which chassis you want to be an active one.

Hope this will clear the complex procedure for carrying the activity. Let me know if you have any doubts.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Very good idea, I have a couple of follow-up questions. Is there a way on step 5 to do a phased approach to moving the Active router to Core2, what if I went to each VLAN on the active router and did a shutdown command on that interface which then should cause HSRP to make the VLAN on Core2 - SUP2 go active?

On step 7, when I remove the SUP1 board and install the SUP2 module can I just disable the SUP1 module remove it then just install SUP2 mod and enable the slot? Also will a switch still pass traffic if you remove the Sup card while it is running?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card