cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 switch boots in rommon

ksowell
Level 1
Level 1

After an overheating environmental event, our 6509 boots into rommon. At the rommon prompt we can manually boot from the image on disk1. The boot variable is set to boot from the image on disk1, and the config register is 0x2102. But on reload or power up the sup comes up in rommon. Chassis is cisco WS-C6509-E with Sup720, image is IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M). Tried moving the Sup720 to a spare chassis with same result. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

At the rommmon prompt type "confreg". A small menu will come up and ask if you want to change the configuration. Answer "yes" then accept whatever it offers until you see the prompt "change the boot characteristics", answer "yes" here and change the boot option to "2", its probably set to zero at the moment. Answer no to change the configuration again, type sync at the prompt and then type reset. You need to do this on both supervisors. How did this come about? I suspect during an IOS upgrade you had incompatible IOS versions with RPR,RPR+ HA or SSO on and the active blade clobbered the standby config as it was booting to prevent a percieved mismatch problem.

Follow this link for the confreg command info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00802debd0.html#wp1025193

Brian

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do I get a break on my taxes if I help you ? :)

Just kidding ...

Please post the output from typing show boot

You must have a command in the running-config, pointing towards disk1 and the image name.

boot system disk1:[image_name.bin]

Yes there is a config statement to boot from disk1:

boot system flash disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin

The show boot is same as other working switches:

KAN031CRSVRFRM2#sh boot

BOOT variable = disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is not present.

KAN031CRSVRFRM2#

There actually two sups in this switch for redundancy, both do the same thing, boot to rommon. Took one to a spare chassis and it still boots to rommon, but will boot an image from a flash card manually from the rommon prompt.

I will put in a good word for you on your taxes....

after you boot the box up (manualy from the flash) issue the dir disk0: command what does it say?

There is an image on disk0: we don't use anymore (we use the one on disk1:) but here it is:

KAN031CRSVRFRM2#dir disk0:

Directory of disk0:/

1 -rw- 76158468 Jul 11 2006 11:11:50 -05:00 s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz

.122-18.SXF2.bin

127873024 bytes total (51712000 bytes free)

KAN031CRSVRFRM2#

Do you see any errors during boot-up ?

You may have a faulty Supervisor as the configuration you posted looks correct.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check the config register on both the supervisor side and the route processor side and make sure both are 0x2102 .

ok, I assume the config register shown on show boot is from the supervisor side:

KAN031CRSVRFRM2#sh boot

BOOT variable = disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

How do I see the config register on the route processor side in IOS? Cannot session to the MSFC in IOS...

chschroe
Level 1
Level 1

What size compactflash disk are you using in disk1:? Is it a Cisco part or one you acquired on your own? Have you formatted these disks in a 6500? If not, you should give it a try.

What sort of route processor redundancy are you trying to run? Go ahead and leave the second supervisor out until we get the chassis working just fine with one. Then you can make sure that the second one is identical to the first.

Go ahead and do a no boot system flash disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin, write that to memory, then go back into config mode and do a boot system disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin, exit, and write that again.

If you still get the same problem, please include a capture of the boot process.

Good luck.

NS

The compactflash disk is a Cisco 128 MB part. The switch had dual sup720's, each with MSFC3, and PFC3. The dual sup720's were running in redundancy high availability mode, one active and one in standby. One sup720 has been moved to a spare chassis for testing. Both sup720's boot to rommon in both the test chassis and production chassis. Both will boot the image on disk1: manually from the rommon prompt. Tried taking out the config statement boot system flash disk1:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin, wr mem, then adding it back in and wr mem. Still boots to rommon. See attached capture of boot process. Thanks for your assistance.

At the rommmon prompt type "confreg". A small menu will come up and ask if you want to change the configuration. Answer "yes" then accept whatever it offers until you see the prompt "change the boot characteristics", answer "yes" here and change the boot option to "2", its probably set to zero at the moment. Answer no to change the configuration again, type sync at the prompt and then type reset. You need to do this on both supervisors. How did this come about? I suspect during an IOS upgrade you had incompatible IOS versions with RPR,RPR+ HA or SSO on and the active blade clobbered the standby config as it was booting to prevent a percieved mismatch problem.

Follow this link for the confreg command info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00802debd0.html#wp1025193

Brian

binhkdinh
Level 1
Level 1

I actually had a similar problem a while ago. A Cisco TAC engineer helped resolved it.

Please post the results of the following commands:

1. show boot

2. remote command switch show boot

3. show version

4. remote command switch show version

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00803e5282.shtml

-Thanx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: