cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Upgrade path questions

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

I currently have a 6509 that will never get completely loaded out with service modules. I am looking for a 3 to 5 slot switch to move towards that will support the following modules:

WS-SUP720-BASE

WS-X6748-SFP

I also have an older Multimode line card which the newer IOS (SHX5 I believe) will not support. What is the upgrade path for this module in particular?

WS-X6324-100FX-MM

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For 3 to 5 slots, there's the 6503, 6504 and 6506.

Unsure about upgrade path for your WS-X6324-100FX-MM and haven't checked device support notes. Perhaps the WS-X6148-FE-SFP might be an option. Must you retain 100 Mbps or is gig an upgrade option?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

If you want a smaller box, then I would go with 6506-E, one used for your Sup-720 and the other 5 are for your line cards, or if you need to Sups, then 4 for your line cards.

Also, the card you mentioned here (WS-X6324-100FX-MM) is supported with IOS 12.2(33)SXH

See below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/ol_14271.html#wp2563502

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza. That's my problem though, according to Cisco, that module is supported with s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXH5.bin.

However, when I swapped to the above mentioned IOS, the two WS-X6324-100FX-MM modules were listed as "NOT SUPPORTED" when I issued a "show power".

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Jason,

You may have power issues.

Do you have the right size power supply for your devices?

You can use the Cisco power calculator to figure out the correct power supply you need.

What does show inventory tell you?

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: