Helpful
Replies

6509E SUP IOS upgrade

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Happy Cinco De Mayo

A 6509E Primary SUP card crashed and the Secondary card was take over. Techs on site, with Cisco TAC involved determined both Sups were bad.

A new SUP was RMA's and installed. The device is up and running. However TAC stated the reason for the outage was due to "bug" in code 12.2(18) SXF-6. Their recommendation is to upgrade to 12.2(18) SXF-17b (released 3/2011).

It has been awhile, approx 4 years since I upgraded an IOS on the SUP. Can someone provide some expert guidance and refresh my memory on best way to step thru this.  Some services have back up via DR, others do not.

I will be implementing this solution today, 5/5/2014 at 11:00 pm CST

sMc
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Download the IOS from the Cisco website to your TFTP server. 

2.  [IMPORTANT]:  Compare the IOS' MD5 hash value you've downloaded against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  The values MUST MATCH.  

3.  Copy the IOS from your TFTP server to the supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin sup-bootflash:

4.  [IMPORTANT]:  Compare the IOS' MD5 hash value you've downloaded against the MD5 hash value against the file in the supervisor card.  The values MUST MATCH.  Command:  verify /md5 sup-bootflash:filename.bin

5.  Change the bootvariable string:  

config t
no boot system flash sup-bootflash:old_ios.BIN
boot system flash sup-bootflash:new_ios.bin
boot system flash sup-bootflash:old_ios.bin
config-registry 0x2102
end
wr

6.  Reload. 

Please don't forget to rate our posts.  

View solution in original post

How to verify the hash?

I use a free product called HashTab.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Download the IOS from the Cisco website to your TFTP server. 

2.  [IMPORTANT]:  Compare the IOS' MD5 hash value you've downloaded against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  The values MUST MATCH.  

3.  Copy the IOS from your TFTP server to the supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin sup-bootflash:

4.  [IMPORTANT]:  Compare the IOS' MD5 hash value you've downloaded against the MD5 hash value against the file in the supervisor card.  The values MUST MATCH.  Command:  verify /md5 sup-bootflash:filename.bin

5.  Change the bootvariable string:  

config t
no boot system flash sup-bootflash:old_ios.BIN
boot system flash sup-bootflash:new_ios.bin
boot system flash sup-bootflash:old_ios.bin
config-registry 0x2102
end
wr

6.  Reload. 

Please don't forget to rate our posts.  

Leo

How to verify the hash?

sMc

Leo

How much downtime is expected to complete the entire process?

My plan tonight is to:

Install a new Secondary SUP. I assume I will have to wait until they synch.

I should be able to install secondary sup without affecting Primary SUP, yes?

How long should that take and what commands should I use to verify sync?

Then I will upgrade the Primary or Secondary SUP first?

Once first upgrade is done, then I will upgrade 2nd SUP.

sMc

I should be able to install secondary sup without affecting Primary SUP, yes?

Make sure both supervisor cards have the same IOS versions and feature set.  The last supervisor card inserted will go into ROMmon if the IOS is incorrect.  

Then I will upgrade the Primary or Secondary SUP first?
  • Upgrade the primary supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin sup-bootflash:
  • Upgrade the secondary supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin slavesup-bootflash:

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Steve.  laugh

My pleasure. Thank you for the guidance

sMc

How to verify the hash?

I use a free product called HashTab.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card