cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

650x Vs Nexus? How Long wil the 650x be Viable/Alive?

Jim Blake
Level 1
Level 1

This is a difficult one....:)

The 650x switch has been around in various forms since Methusla was in short pants. Its a fine switch, loved by all and continued to be bught by many.....BUT the Nexus range has been around since 2008 and has stabilized nicely. It must be considered as a replacement for the 650x range (isn't it? shoot me down if you feel I'm wrong!)

So when will Cisco kill off the 650x and concentrate on the Nexus....it can't be long, can it?

Commenta and Views on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jim

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I recently read somewhere the Catalyst 6500 series will be around well into the 2020's . If you want the newest Catalyst  then you should look at the new Catalyst 6800 series. The Nexus stuff is quite a learning curve so if want the familiar IOS then stick with the Catalyst . So far I'm not real fond of the Nexus gear .  You really have to look out for what modules you buy and what's compatible within a given VDC  etc... really a  pain. 

Totally agree with Glen that we currently dont have any plan to stop 6500. The new module 6800 which is really robust and its worth of have a look at that.

Regards

Inayath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco