cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 IOS upgrade

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6513 720SUP running IOS. Planning on an upgrade. The 6513 has a WiSM and FWSM module. It also has WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6748-GE-TX, and WS-X6748-SFP modules.

I downloaded the s72033-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI2a.bin IOS release I plan to install. I also downloaded the c2lc-rm2.srec.122-18r.S1 ROMMON.

Do you upgrade the ROMMON prior to the IOS?

I did a show module version. Does the ROMMON apply to more then just the SUP720? The 10GIG and switch modules appear to show that under the fw. The WiSM does as well but isn't listed on the ROMMON document I downloaded. The FWSM isn't for sure from what I see.

If you do upgrade each modules ROMMON it says you reset it after you upgrade it. Does the reset just effect that module?

Last question. When I reset the switch after upgrading IOS do you need to do something with the WiSM and FWSM prior to the reset or do they just come back online as the switch reboots?

Craig

1 Reply 1

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Craig,

What is your switching module ROMMON version ?

you can check it with

enter the remote command module module_slot_number show version | include ROM command.

If they are not 12.2 18r.S1 than you have to upgrade CEF on your modules. i.e. WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6748-GE-TX, and WS-X6748-SFP.

Does the ROMMON apply to more then just the SUP720?

Yes, It applies to the module with CEF, in your case they are WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6748-GE-TX, and WS-X6748-SFP.

I think you need not upgrade your WISM and FWSM as they are specific services module. They have there own code, I m sure that 12.2(33)SXI has compatibility with FWSM and WISM. as I have one fwsm running on my cat6509 with 12.2 33 SXI code.

If you do upgrade each modules ROMMON it says you reset it after you upgrade it. Does the reset just effect that module?

Yes of course, it only resets the particular hardware module.

There is no need to do something with WISM and FWSM while upgradation or after upgradation. Take the backup of running-config as a best practice. I would suggest you to open a tac while upgrading the CAT6. I know that they wont babysit you. but in case something goes wrong, experts are just a call away.

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card