cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6704 & Virtual Switch Link

craighenry
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6509-V-E each with a Sup720/two CX4s and have established a VSS using said interfaces. I was sold two standard 6704 modules and XENPAKs to create a third link. Adding the third link does not work with the configuration attempt stating unsupported hardware. Can I upgrade the 6704 with a WS-F6700-DFC3A/ 3AXL or do I have to upgrade the module to a 6708 which includes the DFC.

Sincerely,

Craig Henry

Network Architect

craig.henry@loblaw.ca

1 Reply 1

Hi Craig,

From this White Paper on VSS -

"Because a VSH (virtual switch header) is appended onto every frame that is sent across the VSL, there are also new port ASIC requirements to be able to form the VSL. The interfaces that can currently form the VSL are the 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink interfaces on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720-10G VSS as well as those on the 8-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet line card (WS-X6708-10G-3C/XL)"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ee2ed.html

So upgrading the 6704 is not going to help and a 6708 line card would be required if you want to have a third VSL.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card