Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

802.1q encapsulation on cisco 6509

I have the following configuration on

Cisco 6509:

int gig xx/xx

switchport

sw acc vlan xx

Now, I want to make this int a trunk port.

When put the command: sw tru enc dot1q, it gives me the "Unrecognized command" error. Anybody got an idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Everyone's tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: 802.1q encapsulation on cisco 6509

mutabaruka1 wrote:

I have the following configuration on

Cisco 6509:

int gig xx/xx

switchport

sw acc vlan xx

Now, I want to make this int a trunk port.

When put the command: sw tru enc dot1q, it gives me the "Unrecognized command" error. Anybody got an idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

What module is this on. Some modules only support 802.1q encapsulation on the ports so you do not get the choice between ISL/802.1Q.

Jon

Jon:

It is on 6509-E. Anyway, I should be able to choose 802.1q. But when I start the command sw tr ? , encapsulation is not an option.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

mutabaruka1 wrote:

Jon:

It is on 6509-E. Anyway, I should be able to choose 802.1q. But when I start the command sw tr ? , encapsulation is not an option.

Some of the modules only support 802.1Q on the ports. What module is it ? I know it is on a 6509 but what exact module is it ? If you are not sure can you

1) specify the exact port you are trying to configure eg.  gi5/1

2) post the output of "sh module" from the switch

Jon

Purple

Try show interfaces capabilities and see if dot1q is the only supported protocol, if so then it probably won't let you set it .  On 2950's which only support dot1q it is not configurable.

So, if dot1q is the only supported protocol that means it is the default? if I trunk the interfaces they would use 802.1q?

Hall of Fame Super Blue

mutabaruka1 wrote:

So, if dot1q is the only supported protocol that means it is the default? if I trunk the interfaces they would use 802.1q?

Yes.

Thanks guys. That really helped.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content