Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x auth

hi everyone, can you help out a newbie? I'm implementing 802.1x auth on my 2950's and all is working fine. However, when I try this out on a 3524 the commands are not supported. The 3524 is running IOS 12.0 (5) Is this an IOS thing? or is the 3500 series not supported?

7 Replies 7

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Paul,

the 802.1x authentication commands are indeed not supported at all on the 3500XL series. There is no IOS that supports 802.1x on that platform.

Regards,

GNT

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The switch which you are having is not 3550 switch it is 3500 XL series switch which does not support 802.1x auth feature.

3550 does support 8021.x authentication.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks guys, is it only supported on the 2950? or does the 2924 support it? I would appreciate a definitive list of models to go for. For example, can I do this on a 3750?

Can anyone from Cisco tell me which models support 802.1x authentication?

Hi,

Unfortunately the 802.1x authentication is not supported on any XL platform. There?s a hardware limitation on this platform to forward the multicast address used for 802.1x. For that reason it won?t work, not even on the latest IOS release.

Hope it helps

Franco Zamora

Hello,

I don't think there is a comprehensive list with all platforms on which 802.1x authentication is supported. If you have sufficient CCO access, you can use the software advisor (see the link below). 802.x is supported on all the newer switches, starting with the 2950 and upwards. Which ones exactly are you looking for ?

Cisco Software Advisor

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do

HTH,

GNT

The majority of my switches are the 3500XL series so I need to consider hardware upgrades to achieve this. I used a 2950 in my test environment and all went fine, it never goes to plan does it!

Thanks everyone, with all the XL series excluded I have an answer to my question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card