my target is to implement Identity mangement in my network using 802.1X,

anybody has idea about this.

Regards,

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Basheer,

What all switches do you have in your network?

By the time you can also look at the configuraion guide for 802.1x

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225seb/scg/sw8021x.htm

HTH

Ankur

Dear Ankur;

Thanks for your replay;

my floor switches (Access switches) are 35XX series.

Hi Basheer,

Is it 3500XL switches or 3550,3560 and above.

If it is XL switch i am afraid they do not support 802.1x but if it is 3550 and something like that the lin kwhich I posted in my previous email will guide you to configure 802.1x on switches.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

hope this URL will answer to your queries.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/1219ea1/scg/sw8021x.htm

rate if it helps ....

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

802.1x can do both authentication & authorization (if you have an ACS server).. URL's given in the above posts will be of great help, but you need to decide what is your end goal?

If it is only authentication, 802.1x with an external radius server (ACS) will do.. the switches should support 802.1x.. you need to manually configure the vlans on the switch ports...

If you want authorization with authentication, you need to do additional configs on the ACS to dynamically allocate VLANs which will be bound to the 802.1x username.. even if the user roam arounds, he will get the VLAN dynamically, through his username..

If you need additional things like poliicy checking (eg. OS/Virus updates/service packs etc), you need to have 802.1x implemented with a NAC solution....

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Dear Raj;

Thanks a lot;

i need to implement both Authntication & Authorization on VLAN based.

i read the mentioned doc. it's fine; but what should i do in ACS especially the VLAN configs.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card