Views
Helpful
Replies

857w router help

glen-c999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've just picked up a new Cisco 857w router and I'm having some diffuculty setting it up.

As far as I understand the device ships with minimal configuration already present.

I am able to connect via console and have access to the IOS.

Cisco IOS Software, C850 Software (C850-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

I'm having trouble with DHCP.  According to the documentation it shipped with it is configured as a DHCP server but it doesn't seem to be issuing IP addresses on its ethernet ports.

I have enabled the ports (no shutdown on those interfaces)

The green LED on eth 1 lights up when I connect a cable to my laptop

The laptop is configured to have an IP address assigned automatically by the DHCP server for its wired ethernet port.

So, the question is, Do I need to configure the router as a DHCP server?  I am trying to find its IP address so I can connect to the GUI.

Also, theres a clicking/switching sound coming from it at regular intervals roughly once a minute, is this normal?

Thanks

27 Replies 27

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I never remember the default settings for these routers.

just do sh run and you'll see what you want.the Fastethernet ports are switchports and you have to configure interface vlan 1 like this:

interface vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1

ip dhcp pool mypool

network 192.168.1.0 /24

default-router 192.168.1.1

Then you'll have your clients getting a dhcp address.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

Thanks for that.  I entered all those details as you've given me.  I've saved the config and reloaded the router.  This is what I see:

>show ip interface brief

Interface                                 IP-Address           OK?      Method      Status                                         Protocol

Dot11Radio0                        unassigned           YES      TFTP        administratively down         down

Dot11Radio0.1                   unassigned           YES      unset       administratively down         down

FastEthernet0                    unassigned           YES      unset       up                                                       down   

FastEthernet1                    unassigned           YES      unset       up                                                       up       <--  I'm connected here but you can see no IP address was assigned.

#show ip interface fastEthernet 1

FastEthernet1 is up, line protocol is up

Internet protocol processing disabled

Under windows the IP address is the 169.254.119.208 default assignment.

In vlan 1 interface config mode there are a few other dhcp options listed, is there more required to be set up? :

dhcp                  Configure DHCP server and relay parameters

dhcp-client           Configure parameters for DHCP client operation

dhcp-server           Specify target DHCP server parameters

Thanks

int f1

spanning-tree portfast

Thanks Leolaohoo,

I did that and below is the console output:

(config-if)#spanning-tree portfast

%Warning: portfast should only be enabled on ports connected to a single host.

Connecting hubs, concentrators, switches,  bridges, etc.to this interface

when portfast is enabled, can cause temporary spanning tree loops.

Use with CAUTION

%Portfast has been configured on FastEthernet1 but will only

have effect when the interface is in a non-trunking mode.

Whats next?

That's message you see is just a "disclaimer".  Translation:  Are you REALLY, REALLY sure you want to enable portfast?

Don't worry and ignore it.

Next, you try to disconnect and reconnect the link or you can try "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" and see if it works.

hi glen,

you haven't configured the SVI interface as alain suggested. this will be the default gateway for your FE ports. try to do as what he suggested and try again.

857(config)#interface vlan 1

857(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

as for the clicking sound, it's not normal. you should ask your vendor to replace it.

leo,

i don't think portfast has something to do with OP's DHCP issue.

edit - just re-read your post. could you post the entire show ip interface brief output and show interface vlan 1? ensure it's up/up

Message was edited by: John Lagura

Sure, here you are:

#show ip interface brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Dot11Radio0                unassigned      YES TFTP   administratively down down

Dot11Radio0.1              unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up

FastEthernet2              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet3              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

ATM0                       unassigned      YES NVRAM  initializing          down

Vlan1                      192.168.1.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up

Loopback0                  192.169.3.1     YES manual up                    up

Hi Glen,

Your 857 ports looks ok. Could you post show run | s dhcp and show ip dhcp binding from the router?

Are you still getting the 169.254.x.x IP? Try swaping UTP cable and use another latop/PC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

r#show running-config | s dhcp

no ip dhcp use vrf connected

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1

ip dhcp pool mypool

import all

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.1.1

domain-name companyname.com

ip dhcp update dns

ip dhcp client update dns

#show ip interface brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Dot11Radio0                unassigned      YES TFTP   administratively down down

Dot11Radio0.1              unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet2              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up

FastEthernet3              unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

ATM0                       unassigned      YES NVRAM  initializing          down

Vlan1                      192.168.1.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up

Loopback0                  192.169.3.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up

BVI1                       192.168.2.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up

Virtual-Dot11Radio0        unassigned      YES TFTP   administratively down down

Virtual-Dot11Radio0.1      unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

Ive now used a brand new UTP cable, same result.

I can only use this laptop as I'm waiting for a USB to DB9 adapter cable that supports 64 bit to arrive.  The others are 64 bit which dont support the current cable, its not a genuine Prolific chipset.

Thanks

Hi Glen,

Kindly post show run int vlan 1 and show ip dhcp binding output.

Do you see any LED light ON in front of the router (Ethernet LAN 1) and on your laptop's NIC?

Going back on the "clicking" sound. Does it comes from the router?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Try these commands, this should get it going.

"bridge crb"

"bridge 1 route ip"

Hi,

I did that, I got the message saying that bridge crb was already configured.  So I negated it, then renabled it using "bridge crb" and also entered  "bridge 1 route ip"

Still the same, got the windows 169.254.xxx.xxx IP

Not sure if you already have this or not but try this too:

bridge 1 protocol ieee (add this to the existing commands already in the router)

!

interface vlan 1 (you are telling VLAN 1 that it is part of the bridge group 1 and hence all the ports)

bridge-group 1

Also I noticed that you have VLAN 1 on 192.168.1.0/24 network  and BVI1 on 192.168.2.0/24 network I believe the both need to have the same IP.  Now when you connect anything to the ports they should grab an IP address. 

Hope this helps.  Let us know

I am curious, why would he need a bridging command to pull an IP from a local fa connection, but I am also not very familiar with setting DHCP this way (except where I did once on a 2811 and we did not need any bridgeing command).

Can you also post the run from fa1? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card