Views
Helpful
Replies

877 Router Failover

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 877 routers and would like to know how these are implmented for WAN failover they both have a different ISP but I would like to know if one router fails if the config is conpied over to the other router?

What commands should I be looking for ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi John,

The HSRP is what for failover.
Say for example your R1 connected to ISP1 and R2 connected to ISP2, in this case if R1 which is connected to ISP1 failes then R2 which connected to ISP2 will takeover the traffic to internet.

There is nothing like if one router failes then the config will automatically load into another router.
If still you are not clear. Please let us know what you are going to achieve technically.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

You can use Cisco HSRP to run between two routers for failover, one router will be active and other will be standby.

See the below link for complete info.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml

Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks,

The router are setup for HSRP, but how can I determine if there is a failover configured?

i.e. if one router goes down then the config is copyied over to the other router.

Thanks

Hi John,

The HSRP is what for failover.
Say for example your R1 connected to ISP1 and R2 connected to ISP2, in this case if R1 which is connected to ISP1 failes then R2 which connected to ISP2 will takeover the traffic to internet.

There is nothing like if one router failes then the config will automatically load into another router.
If still you are not clear. Please let us know what you are going to achieve technically.

Regards,
Naidu.

Thank you,

If I remember this feature is available on the ASA where the config is copied over, i'm correct?

You are right John, we have "sync archive" feature in ASA which means however the config will be same in both active and standby devices. If you do any changes in one device then the config automatically wright on to the second device.

Also please remember to rate all the helpfull posts which will encourage others throughout this great CSC program.

Regards,
Naidu.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Routers don't support configuration sync.

Neeraj Arora
Level 3
Level 3

Hi John,

Naidu has correctly mentioned HSRP as the possible option to use two routers in Failover. The kind of failover which ASA firewalls provide is not available in routers/switches.

configurations between routers will not synch, at the max you can sync NAT translations happening on Active router to Standby using SNAT feature but then again, to achieve this, you need to have both the Internet links through the same ISP. So in your case, this SNAT is not recommended.

You can check the following Design document related to HSRP for better understanding:

Internetwork Design Guide -- Using HSRP for Fault-Tolerant IP Routing

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetwork_Design_Guide_--_Using_HSRP_for_Fault-Tolerant_IP_Routing

Hope it helps

Neeraj

Hi John,

What is the update on this?
Looks you have got all posibile suggestions.
Please remember to rate all the helpfull posts which give value for the contributor efforts and also this encourage others throughout this great CSC.

Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu,

Please accept my apologise I have just received this message, yes I believe you are correct the only failover for  877 is the HSRP, therefor both devices would need to have the same config.

Once again extremely sorry.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi John,

Dont worry and thanks for your genuine rating.
You are always welcome for any kind of help through this great CSC.

Regards,
Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: