cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 - How to configure inter-VLAN routing

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

I hesitate to post here -- I know that I should know my job. But here goes...

Small business wants to use an ASA 5505 firewall on the edge connected to VDSL modem, and then an 881 to route internally (see attachment). The 881 has a downstream link to a 2960.

Want the following "blocks":
VLAN 33 - CLIENTS
VLAN 55 - SERVERS
VLAN 101 - CDLAB

The lab is for testing, and will be connected via Cisco 2500 series router. The server farm (Server 2008 domain +) will be connected via layer 2 switch over VLAN. A DMZ is anticipated after basic connectivity is established. Connectivity is already verified from a client connected to the INSIDE interface of the ASA going to the OUTSIDE and back.

Before I started I wiped the devices in order to start clean. Both the router and the switch are in vtp mode transparent.

• To build a trunk link, I connected the 881 and the 2960 using a crossover cable from int fa0 to int fa0/8 respectively.
  • On both devices' interfaces I set switchport mode trunk.
  • I configured the 3 VLANs on the 881, assigned IP addresses to them, and used switchport trunk allowed vlan add 33,55,101 to assign them to the trunk but that doesn't appear in the sh run output under the interface.
  • I set both devices' to switchport nonegotiate (best practices?). Once again, on the 881 this command doesn't appear in the running config.
  • I configured the 3 VLANs on the 2960, then used the same switchport commands as above to assign them to the trunk.

Here's the deal.
From a client connected to a VLAN 33 access port on the 2960, I can't ping, for example, the VLAN 55 IP address. I can ping the VLAN 33 IP address. I also can't ping the IP address of the interface on the far side of the router headed to the ASA (int fa4).

What am I doing wrong? I'll gladly post the running configs if anyone wants to see. I've spent most of the day on this racking my brain and literally scouring the Internet. I'd be very grateful for some assistance.

Help!

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

You need to configure the router to have SVIs to be able to route traffic at layer 3, i.e. configure the following on the router:

interface vlan 33

ip address {ip in subnet you have allocated for vlan 33]

and do the same for the other 2 vlans.

This will give you ip connectivity between clients on different vlans - connected to your switch. It will also allow you to ping the far side of the router (the int connected to the ASA)

Very best wishes

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

You need to configure the router to have SVIs to be able to route traffic at layer 3, i.e. configure the following on the router:

interface vlan 33

ip address {ip in subnet you have allocated for vlan 33]

and do the same for the other 2 vlans.

This will give you ip connectivity between clients on different vlans - connected to your switch. It will also allow you to ping the far side of the router (the int connected to the ASA)

Very best wishes

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Yeah, I might not have been too clear. But on the router, each VLAN was created using the vlan 33 command (for example) and given a name. Then I went to int vlan 33 (for example) and used ip address 10.0.33.xx 255.255.255.0 for the address and subnet mask. Those have been in place since I started. And like I said, I can ping the SVI for VLAN 33, which is mapped to the client access port I'm on.

The problem is, I still can't ping inter-VLAN and I still can't ping the far side interface. sad

Bummer...

ArchiTech89
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

Check if u have enabled ip-routing on 881 router., if so just check L2 vlans created or not on 2960 Switch

Dumb! I was dual-homed on the workstation, and when I disabled the other NIC -- and it's accompanying default gateway -- I was able to ping all VLANs and the far side interface.

The 881 is working fine.

Sorry to have bothered...

ArchiTech89
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card