Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

881's 3G backup option

In a nutshell, I have about 20 x Cisco 881's and I want to purchase the 3G card for them. And I need an additional 20 routers on top of this w/ those 3G cards built in.

The specific model I have that need the 3G card is CISCO881WGNAK9

The model w/ the 3G card included is CISCO881GWGNAK9

[notice the extra G between 881 and WGNA]

So in I did some research and found this 3G card itself; it's actually made by Sierra Wireless, not Cisco.

It is the AirCard 597E, model# PCEX-3G-CDMA-V

NOTE: the V at the end indicates Verizon. The other model is for Sprint, ending in an S.

THE PROBLEM

*drum rolls* This card is discontinued. I can't get it from my dealer, but I do see it being sold on various websites. It seems to go for around $150 plus or minus.

Which brings me to the SECOND PROBLEM:

The CISCO881WGNAK9 [w/o 3G] goes for ~ $600

The CISCO881GWGNAK9 [w/ 3G] goes for ~ $1100

$500 for one 3G card? That is just not realistic for this project.

Is this really my only option? Does Cisco have/recommend a USB 3G card that can be used instead?

I -like- this product. I want to use this product. I -don't- want to use dial-backup; I'd -much- rather use 3G. These 20 routers that are already in place have the PC-Card slot [as well as a USB slot]. Is there anything that can be done to get 3G on these guys? USB or otherwise?

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES

Re: 881's 3G backup option

No one has any advice or suggestions?

Re: 881's 3G backup option

Hi,

i have 881 with and without g,

You cann't plug in the umts...modem into the model without the g since the slot is missing,

also (if you cut a hole in the front) the inner machanic and slot is missing). Point.

Compared with 1841 plus hwic-umts (dont remember the real name)  we used first

it's not so expensive as you mention., and it is deliverd with antenna.

Iff you need some cisco-specific features going thru umts with the  single,, dynamic ip-adress

the 881G ist fine (or also the other 88x models with different *dsl interfaces and sometimes isdn backup) .

Iff you just want to have an umts-nat-surf-router, there are other options and el-cheapo boxes around,

for example from edimax (often relabeled, also model with li-accu). They also give you the src (linux based).

Or use you i-phone, but this also a quite expensive option.

But for the professional customers, the 881g with the umts-stick fits perfect into the ciso-landcape i tend to install;

being able to handle routing-protocols, nhrp, multilink gre-tunnels. vpn, etc etc, esp. as backup line., and ipv6 .

Iff you have such a project with 20..40 devices, you should check to get a project price, promotion, ...

Check all your cisco-resellers, bundles, etc.

Juergen.

Views
Helpful
Replies