cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A number of simultaneously routing processes. Limitation.

Vsevolod Ruchin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys! I've gone to interview at IT company today and interviewer asked me an interesting quastion, I couldn't find answer in Google on it. 

What is maximum number of routing processes does Cisco router support simultaneously ? Is there a limitation ?

We can create a lot of OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS and RIP processes at the same time. For BGP this is only one process per VRF. But what about the other ?

thank you. Vsevolod. 

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The answer to this question is, it depends on the software and hardware.  Some older IOSs don't support VRF, so you can only have one process for each protocol.  Newer IOS version support VRF, which can be used for BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, etc..

It also depends on the hardware.  If for example you have a 3750x switch, it only support 26 vrfs, but if you have 6500 switch with Sup-720 you can go up to 1024 vrfs.

So, there is limitations based on the software and hardware.

HTH

Thank you for reply.

Ok, What is the maximum number of simultaneous routing processes IOS supports per VRF ?

Vsevolod Ruchin
Level 1
Level 1

UP 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card