Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA Config Questions

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking to understand AAA commands better and different ways to setup it up. I've looked at the manuals but get lost mostly because it's boring to read. Is there a resource or a site that breaks this down in a better format that other folks have found helpful?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

whats exactly you are trying to do with AAA ? you want to set up SSH access via aaa or something ? or you want to set up AAA for vpn authentication ? what device are you working on , is it a ASA or router or switch  as AAA config will have difference between them?

I'm not trying to do anything particular just yet, except learn a little more about them. I apologize for being vague. For example when I look at some of our configs I'm trying to understand what exactly does a command do. Take the first one for ex. I researched it some and the manual just confused me more than helped me on what this really does. I understand setting up SSH and doing simple things as I just passed the CCENT but studying for that didn't get down in the weeds on a lot of topics I feel I should know. Is this a method list? I'm not sure as I just read about that term today. I'm more of a visual learner so seeing some type of flow chart would make more sense like if a switch had "aaa authentication password-prompt PASSCODE---->" this command X..Y..and Z happens because of this. That type of thing. 

aaa authentication password-prompt PASSCODE---->………...

aaa authentication login default group radius local

aaa authentication dot1x default group radius

aaa authorization exec default group radius local

aaa authorization network default group radius

aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+

Thanks

The command "aaa authentication password-promt PASSCODE" will change the prompt from default of password: to "PASSCODE" , for ex if you put in a command :

"aaa authentication password-promt PASSWORD HERE" will change the password prompt for the user to :

PASSWORD HERE : XXXX

Method List : In the command "aaa authentication login default group radius local"  , the string "default" is the method list, you can use the command :

"aaa authentication login YOURNAME group radius local" and lets say we attach it with SSH , than it would be

line vty 0 4

login authentication YOURNAME // YOURNAME is the method list here.

For easy explanation just look for command explanation in cisco docs 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/security/command/reference/fsecur_r/srfathen.html#wp1018042

Manish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card