cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

about n1000v with port channel

YI-MING TSAI
Level 1
Level 1

there is a n1000v connected to multiple upstream switches in the customer's production environment.

the following is from the Cisco Nexus 1000V Interface Configuration Guide, Release4.2(1)SV2(2.1).

You use vPC-HM mode to create a port channel when the switch is connected to multiple upstream switches

that are not clustered.

my question is,

can I use LACP with multiple upstream switches that are not clustered?

can I use LACP with multiple upstream switches that are stacked?

if I stack multiple upstream switches,does it mean clustered?

thanks.

1 Reply 1

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

See some of the guidelines:

Guidelines and Limitations

Port channeling has the following guidelines and restrictions:

All ports in the port channel must be in the same Cisco Nexus 1000V module; you cannot configure port channels across Cisco Nexus 1000V modules.

Port channels can be formed with multiple upstream links only when they satisfy the compatibility requirements and under the following conditions:

The uplinks from the host are going to the same upstream switch.

The uplinks from the host going to multiple upstream switches are configured with vPC-HM.

You can configure multiple port channels on a device.

After you configure a port channel, the configuration that you apply to the port channel interface affects the port channel member ports. The configuration that you apply to the member ports affects only the member port where you apply the configuration.

You must remove the port security information from a port before you can add that port to a port channel. Similarly, you cannot apply the port security configuration to a port that is a member of a channel group.

You can configure ports that belong to a port channel group as PVLAN ports.

Any configuration changes that you apply to the port channel is applied to every member interface of that port channel.

Channel member ports cannot be a source or destination SPAN port.

That said LACP should work on switches that are not clustered and meet the conditions above.

A stack is treated as one unit which means that would be like you have just one big chassis.

Stacking does not the same as clustering it works different. so if you stack them that would be a stack not a cluster

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4/interface/configuration/guide/n1000v_if_5portchannel.html#wp1270746

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card