cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Rommon on 2600

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to access the Rommon on a 2600 series rotuer. I am able to do so on a regular desktop pc. However with my laptop i cannot get the boot to break via the break commands. I have ran into this problem before but never found a work around. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

adam.sellhorn
Level 4
Level 4

I also ran into this issue when using a cheap usb to serial adapter because my laptop didn't have a serial port. I fixed it by getting a true RS-232 usb to serial adapter. Would this, by any chance, also apply to you?

yes i am using a cheat usb to serial cable as my laptop does not have a serial port.

And what do you mean by getting a "true" rs232- to usb adaptor

This is the one I use which I recommend. Adding the additional 6 feet to your console cable comes in handy.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036258&cp=&sr=1&origkw=usb+to+serial&kw=usb+to+serial&parentPage=search

i actually figured it out :

Complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence:

Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

Power cycle (switch off and then on) the router and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card