Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to a system - Switching

Can someone help me please ?

I have a system with a single NIC with one IP adress of 198.x.x.x in VLAN 10 & we require an IP address of 172.x.x.x as the 2nd IP address on the NIC. This system is connected to a 6509 switch. VLAN 10 is having restricted access & hence won't be able to telnet to the box. But 172.x.x.x range is known to our WAN & hence by configuring an IP address of that range to the same NIC, I would be able to Telnet to the box. Can you please let me know how to get this done?

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The device is connected to Vlan 10 and has 2 different IP subnets. Per the device configuration the 2 subnets reside on Vlan 10.

If you want to hit this device from a remote device on its 198.x.x.x address, the remote device must be on Vlan 10 and have a 198.x.x.x address. If you want to hit this device from a remote device on its 172.x.x.x address, the remote device must be on Vlan 10 and have a 172.x.x.x address.

If you wanted to route 198.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x out of Vlan 10, you need to place a device on Vlan 10 (a router) with either 198.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or both.

If the device in question has a NIC that supports trunking, you can leave 198.x.x.x in Vlan 10 and allocate 172.x.x.x in another Vlan, configure trunking in the switch and have a L3 device route to two Vlans/Subnets.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks!

The system's primary address is say given 192.168.50.200 & the secondary address is given as 172.24.0.55. 192.168.50.x is in VLAN 10 & no VLAN is assigned 172.24.0.x. This range is provided as loopback IP for most of the Network devices & in this case need to be assigned to a system.

I can't move the switchport to Trunk mode as this the system NIC doesn't support trunking. How do I Proceed.

no VLAN is assigned 172.24.0.x.

You can have multiple IP Subnets on Vlan 10. As I explained before, the Vlan breaks the broadcast domain (L2) but you can have 172.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x in Vlan 10. While this is not an optimal network configuration, it should meet your needs.

This range is provided as loopback IP for most of the Network devices & in this case need to be assigned to a system.

Can you elaborate on the Loopback IP requirement? On Routers and switches, loopback interfaces are used for a different purposed than on end-hosts. They are used for management but they need to be advertised via a routing protocol.

I'm not sure how to tell you to proceed if I don't know the exact requirements.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco