cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Media Files

Vexxor1633
Level 1
Level 1

I was given the Cisco Router 3825 by my new cable company and I can access the internet from all my devices but cannot access my media files on my PC from my PS3. My PC is hooked up directly to the router and all the sharing settings are the same as they were with my old router. I have done some research on the internet and it seems a lot of people have this problem but have been told to to use this router as a modem and use their old router as the main router. I dont like this solution because it means more wires and also defeats the purpose of the 3825. I would think that it is just a setting on the router itself that is causing this problem and I would like some help. If anyone knows how to configure the router so that I can access my media files on wireless devices from my wired devices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3825 comes with 2 10/100/1000 onboard ports.  Are you using one to connect to Internet and the other one to your PC?  Can you do a "sh run" and post it here?

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Brett Turcotte wrote:

I was given the Cisco Router 3825 by my new cable company and I can access the internet from all my devices but cannot access my media files on my PC from my PS3. My PC is hooked up directly to the router and all the sharing settings are the same as they were with my old router. I have done some research on the internet and it seems a lot of people have this problem but have been told to to use this router as a modem and use their old router as the main router. I dont like this solution because it means more wires and also defeats the purpose of the 3825. I would think that it is just a setting on the router itself that is causing this problem and I would like some help. If anyone knows how to configure the router so that I can access my media files on wireless devices from my wired devices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The 3825 has only two ethernet ports by default - no wireless. Are there any other modules in this device?

As far as I can tell from the specifications, there isn't a wireless (802.11x) module which will work in this router, which would mean you need to conenct your router to a wireless access point or a switch/WAP to get your PC and your wireless working at the same time.

As Reza asked - can you post the output of "show ver' and "show run" here?

Another question springs to mind - is it a 3825 router like this picture -

or is it a DPC3825 DOCIS cable gateway like this picture

The two are completely different products. If your box is the latter, this document might help.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandiego/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={3cf844b0-8b8c-11df-6baf-000000000000}

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card