Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Acquired SG200-08 smart switch need help configuring (novice)

I recently acquired a SG200-08 Smart switch because I wanted to learn and create vlans for my settop boxes, but the big problem is the "DUMB" user

If anybody can help me and teach me some stuff this would be mych appreciated. I have a broad basic understanding of networking.

Current working config I have is.

Vlan1 default: all ports belonging to vlan1 on acces mode and connected to router-lan1, pc, laptop, wireless, printer, phone, etc (everything that is in the local network)

Vlan2: unused

Vlan3: all ports belonging to vlan3 on acces mode and connected to cable modem, router-wanport and 2xtv-settop box

Question 1: Am I secure enough here, or did I made a big security breach? because everything works like this:

- Local network clients get there ip from router DHCP

- Settop boxes and router wan get there IP from the modem (the settop boxes need an IP in a different range directly from the modem to work)

Question 2: The settop boxes are capable of dlna stream recieving. But how do I setup my switch that it sends this dlna stream from the router(=dlna server) on vlan1 to my settop boxes on vlan3. I prefer to have this only on the ports connected to the setop boxes not the ports going to the modem and router wan port. The router I use is a Cisco-Linksys EA6500 nothing fancy

My ISP normally provides a "very cheap" all-in-one modem/router/wirelless (that is locked by ISP and that you're not allowed to configure, forward ports, etc), that do this but I don't know how they are configured.

For example my friend has one of these all-in-one modems and his settop box gets an 10.81.XX.XX ip, while his pc, nas, etc get an 192.168.1.x ip and his settop box recognises the NAS without a problem

Question 3: I have another pair of SG200-08 switches on the way so I can settup a trunklink and split again at the settop boxes, so same questions as 1&2 but now as a trunk link going to each settop-box/switch combination.

Kind Regards,

Jimmy

Views
Helpful
Replies