cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Actions performed by Spanning-tree re-calculation

Zinne
Level 1
Level 1

We have discovered at my company that when we have a problem with a specific application, moving the VLAN root for the VLAN the the application lives on from the primary core switch, to the secondary core switch seems to resolve the problem 90% of the time. I am trying to figure out what all is done on the back end by the switch when the spanning-tree recalculation happens. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what processes a cisco switch (Primarily Catalyst 3850's running 12.x firmware but also different models with the same behavior) goes through when spanning tree is re-calculated. I am wondering what system tables are cleared and what cleanup processes run when this happens so we can try to implement a better solution than moving the VLAN root every time this issue occurs.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

I understand the implementation of spanning tree and the election process. That is not what my question was. I am wanting to know what the switch actually does behind the scenes during a spanning tree re-convergence event. Does it clear the CAM table, Does it clear the IGMP snooping table, does it restart certain processes? That kind of stuff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card